Chapter 39
“For a fellow Birs, ya don’t reflect a hint of intelligence,” the scrubs-bedecked ogre ranted. Think she’s a second cousin. Got too many second cousins. Couldn’t count the third and forth cousins in this Valley. Of a hundred-thousand, or whatever, year-round inhabitants, half of em tag d Birs after their given name. Maybe not that many.
“Ya’ll need to be clearer,” Mama muttered. “Don’t think he understands much Standish. Do better speakin’ Foolish.”
“Aye,” she growled. “We’ve played inside yar skull twice already. Three’s a charm. Then we just send ya to the morgue without botherin’ with ya.”
“I’ll be good,” I said. Anything to get this wraith out of my room.
“We ogres are tough,” she continued. “We have a thick skull. But once the gray matter gets shaken, doesn’t take much for things to stop workin’ right.”
That didn’t sound very scientific. I blinked a couple times, hopefully to look soulful, I’d even go for contemplative. Didn’t know what else to do. Havin’ an emotin’ hen leanin’ toward ya is intimidatin’.
“Ya’re already likely to have migraines the rest of yar life. Ya have any clue how debilitatin’ they are?” Every word barely breathed over her growl. Why was she takin’ this so personally? “Ya know that pain ya’ve been havin’ that makes ya vomit.” Her words raised even louder with that, to get over a grainier growl.
All I wanted to do was go pee. On my own.
“I’m orderin’ an additional week of bed rest. No exercise of any kind for a month.”
Oh, stink. No pick up ball with David and Thomas tomorrow. I’d induced David to pick me up so we could go to the gym. No one would have ever known. Em humans can be sneaky.
“Are ya listenin’ to yar surgeon?” Mama growled something severe.
I nodded, which to be honest, hurt a bit. Shouldn’t they be givin’ me ice or something for that goose egg on my neck?
~ Ezra ~
For high season, there were a ton more ogres in the dining room than we expected, so I was kept busy carving up carcasses. The servers kept entering the kitchen with sour faces and empty stainless steel catering trays. Stinkin’ ogres eat too much. The realizin’ it, may make me go on a diet.
No one had to tell me they were cousins lookin’ for more fodder for tongue waggin’. But they were payin’ customers—who I could hide from in here. Thought Zarade was gonna split a gut when a knock resonated at the side door. She rushed over to kill whoever dared to step in reach, flung open the screen door, but stopped abruptly, which got my attention for real. Takes a lot to calm an irritated hen that fast.
Aunt Dorig wouldn’ta come to the side door. I walked over, and almost snorted. David looked up at me, three steps below.
“Sign says no visitors, on his door,” he gushed. “I kinda ignored it and his mama about ripped my head off. What’s with that?”
“No visitors?” I echoed.
He shook his head. “Is he dying or something? What’s up with that?”
I reached into my deep pocket and searched a bit for my phone. Hopefully it wasn’t dead. I couldn’t remember the last time I plugged it in. Displayed fourteen percent. That would get me through a few texts. Sent, “What’s up with the no visitors?” to Aunt Dorig.
Three seconds later I got back, “Ya’re family. Not a visitor.”
I replied back, “David is family. Let him in.”
She ringed me back. Did I wanna talk to her again today? Pretty sure I didn’t. I checked my power. Already down to twelve percent—really? “He is, don’t argue,” I growled when I answered.
“He showed up with that idjit other human,” she growled.
I gave David a glare with a pair of lowered brows, I hope. We don’t have as flexible a face as humans. In my mind I sent him a telepathic, “Ya left something out.” Doubted he’d get it. Humans are really dense.
I told aunt, “They’re all best friends. Give em a break.” Then warned her my phone was warnin’ me it was gonna die.
“Middle of the week anyway,” Aunt growled. “They should both be workin’. Why are they collectin’ a pay check if they’re wanderin’ all over the Valley?”
“That’s an Ike and Kriz’ issue, not yars,” I said.
“Ya tell, em,” she growled, “They show up here again today and the morgue will pick up their bodies. My youngling is havin’ a migraine. Can’t take sound or light. Thrown up three times since I got back.”
I didn’t have an answer for that. Didn’t really know migraines are so bad. Actually, I thought they were only a human affliction. Don’t think I’ve ever heard of any non-human ever complainin’ about em. Not that there’s any reason for me to be an expert on the matter.
“Is he dyin’?” I asked, my chest tightenin’ up.
“If he dies, I’ll k—” and my phone went dead. That was a short twelve percent. Lyin’ thing. Maybe I should plug the idjit thing in more often.
~
~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment